Thursday, April 24, 2008

Deb, did you see us?

Last night Greg and I dined at Spago at the Four Seasons Hotel in Wailea.

The hotel is absolutely gorgeous! It is so luxurious and the service impeccable.

The reason why I titled my post "Deb, did you see us?" is because my sister Deb, the one that died of pancreatic cancer, would vacation at the Four Seasons Maui every year with her husband. When they had their daughter, then the three of them would enjoy vacations there. I heard stories of seeing Arnold Schwarzenegger with Maria and their kids there as well as how she and Morgan Fairchild became friends while staying there.

Deb would have been in her element there! As I looked from the balcony table we sat at dinner last night, I could only think of Deb and replaying some of the memories she shared with me about her visits there. She loved the Four Season's Maui and looked forward to their annual vacations there. I felt especially close to her knowing how many vacations she spent there.

More about our dinner experience.

The staff was perfect.

Our "bread girl", which is what I called her(I know, it is not the most respectful - sorry!) because she came to each table offering bread - there were 5 types and all freshly made. So delicious. She was from Ballard! We chatted it up with her throughout the night which was very fun.

We had a very extravagent dinner last night - Greg loves these kinds of outings. Honestly this is not my kind of place(I like the more low-key places) but Greg loves this kind of experience. I call this kind of place - "where the beautiful people are!".

The view was beautiful and we booked our reservation early enough so we could see the sunset.

The food was excellent. I had Wolfgang's version of Poke for an appetizer and it was absolutely memorable. No wonder it is a signature appetizer. Greg enjoyed seafood risotto which was incredible as well. I thought about Michale when he ordered it...Michale is crazy about risotto.

We enjoyed a bottle of Cab from a Washington winery called Amavi. It was very good wine.

For the main course, Greg had Seared Ahi Tuna while enjoyed a Macadamia Nut crusted Mahi Mahi. I wouldn't order the Mahi Mahi again. It was ok but the Ahi was delicious!

I did not indulge in dessert because I was just too full. Greg had a nice glass of port to top off the evening.

It was a memorable experience and I wish I would have brought my camera!

Sorry for the lack of photos! I just have not been taking many photos at all!

Tomorrow we are off to the Big Island to enjoy another 8 days of sunshine! I will take more photos, I promise!

4 comments:

bizyhands said...

Maybe you should also consider adding food critic to your list of retirement activities! So good to hear you and G are enjoying yourselves. Looking forward to those foot photos.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a very special, wonderful meal at the Four Seasons with scrumptious food, impeccable service and warm, rich memories of your dear sister. Enjoy the Big Island! I look forward to seeing you back in the Pacific Northwest my friend. Aloha!

Anonymous said...

I love how the precious memories of your sister enrich your life. That is how I remember my father. The loss is a terrible, terrible thing, but we have the gift of their lives to enrich our own. It isn't the way we would have it, but it is something.

crookedneedles said...

Mmmmm... the risotto sounds delicious! I've been stockpiling rice due to the news about shortages - wouldn't want to live without risotto! Glad you're having such a wonderful time, and looking great doing it. Relaxation suits you both!