Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Mermaid Wrap

I am sitting here trying to decide what to title this post and it comes to me. It is perfect and I hadn't realized it. This is why *mermaid* is so fitting.

Next Friday G and I are heading to Bonaire for a two week vacation. Two weeks of scuba diving(hence how perfect the mermaid wrap is) and snorkeling with enough time for leasurely reading, knitting and just plain sleeping on the beach. During the day in May Bonaire's average high temperature is about 88 degrees.

In the evenings it does get a bit cooler - down to around 78 degrees or so. I'll need a wrap to keep me warm! I know most of you don't consider that temperature *cold*, but after you have been there a few days and you feel the ten degree drop, you may need a silk wrap! I know I will.
This will be my 3rd time there and G's 5th. G has gone a couple times without me for photography competitions.


A close up:
My goal is to have it finished by Saturday so I can block it and have it ready to travel by next Friday.

The Mermaid Wrap was designed by Ellen. This is made out of Hand Maiden Sea Silk. I can't remember the colourway. The pattern is free with a purchase of Sea Silk at Village Yarn and Tea. Don't forget to stop there this weekend during the Local Yarn Store tour!

Speaking of the LYS. Ellen(mermaid wrap Ellen) , Amy and I are going to do some touring around this coming Friday. I have never been to a lot of the south-end yarn shops. I hadn't decided to join in on the tour until a few days ago. I really have A LOT of fiber hanging around and I will be doing the Jean Wong Nihon Vogue Certification program beginning next month. How much other knitting will I be able to do while doing this year-long program? Not a whole hell of a lot. Ok, that means...Yeah, I'm in for the yarn tour!! :)

I'm really looking forward to going to Churchmouse. I've heard so much about it. I also *plan* on looking at the Socks That Rock that they supposedly just got in stock. Amy is doing this chevron scarf project and I feel that big Sheep's hook around my neck...that I must do it.

The long route to the chevron scarf was I followed Amy's blog entries on her color combinations(trials and tribulations) for this scarf. Then I went back to her entry dated March 20th and clicked on the various links and I was wowed by people's choice of colors and how wonderfully their scarves turned out. Check out this Flickr group for the scarves. You'll be inspired.

Then this leads me to my dilemma about travel. That hardest thing for me when getting ready for a trip is NOT what clothes to bring(although it can be a struggle). It is what knitting projects to bring. I'm always WAY TOO OPTIMISTIC. I think geez, I'll be gone for two whole weeks with no schedule, absolutely no structure. I think. I can do this, and this, and this, and this, and this.

Uh yeah.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Beautiful wrap, wow. Making another something like that on your vaca would be perfect beach knitting. No shaping, no charts. Or maybe sock. Your Friday tour sounds fun! Wish I needed yarn...