Friday, August 22, 2008

Spinning!

I've finally gotten some time on the wheel.

I am slowly improving my spinning skills. Although I got my first wheel about 15 months ago, I haven't had much time to spin.

Ellen and I bought some roving at Madrona 2008 so we could spin some yarn to make the Wool Peddler's Shawl by Cheryl Oberle.

I finished spinning about 12 ounces of BFL in the colorway called Ocean Collection. It is a 3-ply yarn about 12wpi. I wanted it more on the worsted side of things but I'm still learning how to get the results I want and what I need to do to get there.

This time I put more twist in the singles with more twist in the ply. It was fun to try different things(ah....the benefits of retirement). The first time I plied a bit of this I did not have enough twist and the result was a sproingy mess! I just kept playing with it until I got a balanced yarn and I felt so proud of myself as a result.

Even though this isn't exactly what I was going for(worsted weight), I think it is still amazing that I can create yarn like this. See...you can do anything you want with enough time, determination, lots of practice and patience!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It may not have been what you were aiming for, but it's beautiful! A lovely color as well. Thank you for sharing!

Joni said...

happy birthday to you! I love the yarn you spun. It is gorgeous. Had to laugh out loud re: you ruining Greg's birthday surprises. If you don't behave you won't get any more presents.
that new camera will be sooo cool....