Saturday, August 23, 2008

Latvian Mittens

Way back on July13 I went to the Nordic Heritage Museum to see the Latvian exhibit.

The exhibit was ending soon and Melinda had suggested we go see it. So she, Michale and I headed down to the museum(does not have air conditioning) on a sweltering July day.

The mitten display was just amazing. I have never attempted to knit any Latvian style mittens but after seeing them in person I have added them to my knitting 'to do' list.

I also want to purchase the book Latvian Mittens by Lizbeth Upitis. Michale got the last copy at the Museum so this is still on my book wish list.

Although my iphone photos are not the best, this will give a little taste of what we saw.









They are amazing to see in person. We chatted with a woman that is heavily involved in the Latvian community and she was a delight to talk to. She had so many interesting things to share with us.

I took this next photo in the museum gift shop. I came thisclose to buying this mug(it says 'Living with a Norwegian Builds Character'). I can relate to the sentiment since I am married to a man of norwegian heritage!

No comments: