Sunday, February 25, 2007

Work, Work, Work

I've been assigned to a new project at work. I have mixed feelings about it. Why?

I love my life outside of work. I did not enjoy working for the person I worked for and now for the next year I won't have to. That is a real bonus.

The downside? Implemenations are fraught with stress, hard work and challenges.

I've ridden this horse before. I've been involved in many implementations and upgrades.

I know what it takes. I'm just not sure I want to work that hard. Honestly I have not had a break in 10 years from being on either an upgrade or implementation cycle.

I need some rest.

I'll be part of a team implementing a new budget system. It is a high profile project with a lot of eyes watching us. While ramping up on this project I also have another department implementing the AR and Billing system in early April, which I currently support. Basically I have a lot on my plate right now.

The flip side is I get to work side-by-side with my friend Jamie. This woman is incredible. She's smart, innovative and works extremely hard. There is always a lot of challenge implementing a new product and this system utilizes some technology which is new to our employer, and us.

What that means is less time for my creative pursuits.

Like this: Some newly spun Blue Moon Fiber Arts Blue Faced Leicester. I like spinning this fiber a lot. I can't wait to get two bobbins full to ply.

Isn't it pretty?


I also got a note from Jean Wong saying she gave her schedule to Suzanne at Madrona Fiber Arts. I hope they schedule some regular, ongoing classes with Jean. Somehow I'll just have to fit all the things I want to do, in.

5 comments:

Sandy said...

Take heart, this too shall pass. Enjoy the time you do have to devote to your creative pursuits with reckless abandon!

bizyhands said...

Hi Naomi!
Great job on the BFL fiber. Keep that knitting/spinning close by during your high stress times. It's easier to think when your paws are busy. Take care!
Love-T

Anonymous said...

Just look at your pretty spinning! You're a natural. I'm so happy for you and I can't wait to see it in person. Oh, and having a life outside of work: priceless.

Jamie said...

Girl - you know you can choose to do this project or not do it, you have the freedom to decide. On the flip side there is no other one I want to work with but you - you are my person - and without you this project is going to be tedious and stressful but having you and your expertise and ability to see things differently than I do make a world of difference. I don't deny there are challenges ahead but we finally have the freedom to make the right choices and do things our way for once. We rock!

Jamie said...

Oh and thank you for the lovely comments about me. :)